Sunday, February 16

Feb. 16, 2014 Hi, We've worked the morning shift this past week, for the first time. I thought that there was an advantage to the afternoon and evening shift, but there's not [Jeanine, however, likes not getting up to the alarm, even though she is usually awake wa-a-a-y before it would go off!] Both shifts are great. I've developed a neat weight lifting device. I purchased a 2x3" x 8' board and had it cut in thirds. I put eye hooks on each end and use stiff bungy chords that simulate either the lifting or pulling movement of a weight machine. I previously told you about the treadmill I use and I pack plastic bags from the store up the hill to our apartment. I was concerned about how I was going to exercise because of the hours spent in the temple, but there is always a way. There's a crew of Guatemalans that are the gardeners on the grounds of the temple. I noticed that they were pulling something out of the lawn and so I went over to talk to them and see. They were pulling "bind" weed up and, sure enough, it is the same weed that I pull out of my garden and the same as we used to pull out of the yard in Pomerene. "It's a small world" (as they say.I just hope I don't see any javelina down here! Friday was Valentine's Day. I walked to the Dry Cleaners and there were lovers hanging around everywhere. I thought that was a U.S. thing. They call it "El Dia de Carino". We just can't get away from that, right boys? Temple work doesn't make very good news 'cause "ya" can't say much about it. It is in a reality a very spiritual experience. Everything has to be done accurately because of the sacredness of it.[And the exactness is required because the Lord's House is a house of order] The intensity of going from one assignment to another and back and fourth and number of people you serve, is exhausting. But you also feel fulfilled at the end of the day. It has been breezy and cool, not like you feel during the winter at home, but chilly for here. [Two mornings this week we were socked in with fog so thick we couldn't see past the temple fences when we were walking to the temple at 6:30 AM] The chapels are equipped with fans to make it through the long, warm summer. [But there is no heat and I freeze every Sunday--it takes all afternoon to get my feet to warm up]. A light wrap feels pretty good here in January and February. Don't hesitate to call our number. It will not cost us anything. When we call, don't be fooled by the caller ID that says it is from Sedona or Cornville--it isn't a telemarketer--[it is just some missionaries lonely to talk to their family]. It isn't even a political call--we are political, but mostly keep it to ourselves. Love, Spencer [with a few comments in brackets by Jeanine] Here are a couple of pictures I took in the market last week:

No comments: