Sunday, August 3
Spencer's thoughts
August 3, 2014
Just a few thoughts about a few pictures. This valley is where, maybe, Alma and his people fled after they were at the Waters of Mormon. They lived there many years and were later put in bondage by the Lamanites and Amulon was over them. They eventually were able to escape and go north to Zarahemla. Today it has the name of Almolonga. It's a valley where there are many hot sulfa springs and up the mountainside is a rich agricultural area.
It is easy to have guests for lunch or to be invited here in the temple annex where we live. Jeanine made a pot of chili beans and corn bread and we had the Salgueros, Agustins and Hintons over for a light meal.
On Saturday's buses to the temple a sister (who is actually an ordinance worker when she isn't laid up)came with her homemade crutch. I'd love tohave one of those crutches to put in a glass case at home. She's sure she's going to get well soon and be back to work. I hope so, but I won't hold my breath.
Saturday, while Jeanine was helping kids with the coloring activity and playing a game of "Eternal Family Bingo", one of the ward or branch mission leaders asked me to talk with some new converts and investigators. The picture chopped half of them off. I talked about what is the difference in a chapel and a temple. I taught them something about temple ordinances and blessings and the time table for a temple recommend. Then I took them around the temple and explained what was going on behind the windows of the various rooms. I then took them in to the waiting room of the temple. Then, as I do with the children, I asked them how they felt there. Most always say peace or happy. I, in turn, talk to them about the Holy Ghost and how to recognize it. I have reflected on the (once popular) lyrics of the song "Somewhere in my miserable past, I must have done something good." It's a rich experience to discuss or to teach about the temple.
My last thought is about being frequently assigned to the baptismal font. I can easily perform the baptism for 100 names when the youth are lined up. Sometimes it goes on for a couple of hours. I had a rich experience yesterday afternoon with some youth who came from the mountain communities and have poor diets and living conditions. They've probably never been in a pool of water, except for their own baptisms. Their dialect is Quiche and they speak varying levels of Spanish. I take them from the top of the stairs down into the font and try to talk to them. I practice with them and we bend our knees together. We had to try several times to get some of them completely under the water. After the list of names I give them a hug and ask about their Mutual class or priesthood and try hard to make them feel good about their experience. One young lady yelled with joy in her handicapped, spasmatic voice as she walked out of the font. She was so happy about her accomplishment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment