Sunday, July 9



This is CLEARLY from Spencer (please forgive him) :)

Dear friends and family,

For today my message is not going to be a spiritual one, but non-the-less, a real one.  Friday , before our shift which started at 11 AM, I took a package to the post office.  Well, there was a fruit and vegetable stand nearby so I went over to buy some things.  I had a sharp pain in my abdomen, but decided I’d be all right and so went on a block more to make a purchase at Lowes.  The pain increased, but I could put up with that long enough to buy a three way light bulb.  Well, you know, it takes a while to get checked out.  I was getting desperate and hurried back toward the apartment building, when the most awful thing was happening and was out of my control.  I think you can guess from that point on.  I didn’t look left or right and walked on in an awkward manner.   

When I got to the apartment building I went straight to the elevators.  There was on door open into which I jumped, only to find two well dressed women.  Up we went to the 6th floor.  Thank goodness I had a key ready to get into the apartment.  I headed straight into the bathroom peeling off my clothes.  You can imagine my stress.  

I did get cleaned up in time to make it to our 11 AM shift, without a minute to spare.

You may be disgusted with me.  However, it was a life experience to remember.  So I guess that makes it part of my mission experience.

Spencer

4th of July 2017--this is from Jeanine

We learned that there would be special events in Federal Hall for Independence Day.  What a great day it was.  I was surprised to see that the crowds were small--nothing like Frontier Days in Prescott. 
Federal Hall was where George Washington was first inaugurated.  There presentations be George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, a slave woman, and a Tory.  There was a militia group from King's College and a Fife and Drum Band.  In addition we were able to view all of the exhibits that are part of this National Park display.  We really enjoyed the day.  

Enjoy the pictures.  You can enlarge them by tapping on them.  



George Washington read the Declaration of Independence from the balcony.  Thomas Paine also read some of his Common Sense.  It was truly a day of history!



I was amazed to see the size of the flag displayed on Wall Street.  This is truly a beautiful sight.





We of course have visited Central Park more.  We learned that the official Manhattan weather is measured right here just a couple of blocks from us!  I'm including a plaque that shows weather extremes measured here.

I'll just include a couple of pictures from Belvedere Castle and grove just below it.




But the weather is still very unpredictable!  One day I went to the bank while the sky was clear.  Then a downpour started!  And as you can see I was soaked to the skin after just rushing home three blocks.
I promised to include a couple of pictures of Walter Rane's beautiful art work.  I will end with that and tell you that I know the scriptures he depicted are truly the word of God.  I have a testimony that the work we are engaged in is of eternal importance.

This is a realistic depiction of the 2000 Stripling Warriors--we read that they sustained serious injuries but their lives were preserved.  The Lord loved them and He loves each one of us!

Jeanine




No comments: