Sunday, November 19

Nov. 19, 2017

Thursday will be Thanksgiving Day!  My heart is filled with gratitude for so many blessings.  The list is topped with my Savior, my Father in Heaven (in either order), my testimony, my family, my friends.  But there are so many little things as well.  Shoes to wear for one.

Today on the subway to church there was a man sleeping who had no shoes--just socks and the toes were out on the right foot.  I didn't want to invade his privacy, so I didn't take a picture.  But it made me wonder when was the last time I was grateful to have shoes and boots and other things to keep me warm and comfortable?!  I hope all of you--young and old take time to express gratitude to each other and to our Father in Heaven this week.

Yesterday I had a wonderful visit with Todd Mortensen (Adam in the "B" film in the temple).  He had finished with confirmations with some members of his ward.  I was assigned to the baptistry.  I introduced myself and then told him that Ann Marie Thompson is married to my son Chad.  He had such and instantaneous and positive reaction!  He shared so many memories of every member of the Thompson family from his years at Tempe High School--even mentioning the PBJ sandwiches after the football games.  He wanted a report on every member of the family.  I was really happy that I could give a fairly complete report.  I couldn't remember where Jess moved after leaving Tucson as a Pediatric cardiac surgeon and I wasn't certain of Stephen's profession.  He was amazed that Jon is a CRNA now.  He of course mentioned that he used to date Amy in high school.  It was such fun chatting away.  Then, he casually mentioned that he had a Prescott connection as well.  You will never guess--he is the great-grandson of Uncle Merle Allen.  I was stunned and quickly told him that Uncle Merle's second wife was my Aunt Opal. He remembers meeting Aunt Opal. It turns out that Merle Jr and Carol are his grandparents on his mom's side!  I wonder if my Goodman cousins had made this connection.  Merle Jr is a patriarch now and Bishop Mortensen and his wife hope he is still giving blessings when their four daughters are old enough to receive blessings.    It is a small world in the church.

I don't have pictures this week--but I will next week, because the missionaries will be setting up chairs just a block away to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I am excited to see it in person.  I always try to watch it on TV while working on dinner--but have had limited success.

We will eat Thanksgiving dinner in the apartment of President and Sister Bench with all the missionaries who don't have any family to spend the holiday with.  I am providing apple pie and a green salad.  The temple is closed on Wednesday and Thursday and then we are back to work on Friday and Saturday.  On Wednesday I plan on going to Macy's and lots of other places near Times Square, Penn Station (34th St as in "The Miracle on 34th Street) and Grand Central Station to look at Christmas decorations in the stores.  I might not have time to hit them all--but I'll give it a good try!  That should put me in the holiday mood, don't you think?

Right after Thanksgiving we switch back to the day shift.  I don't know our exact schedule, but I will have it be next Sunday.  So you can reach for Face Time or phone calls in the evening!  Please do!!

We love each and every one of you and pray for your well-being and happiness.  Send us pictures of your holiday events.

Love,
Mom, Grandma, Jeanine

 These are the last of my Walter Rane pictures.




The first one is the sons of Mosiah bringing Alma the Younger to his parents after encountering an Angel.

The second one is my favorite--Moroni realizing that Mormon is dead and he is now truly alone as the last of the righteous Nephites.

This one is a more common theme--from the New Testament--Mary and Martha with the Savior.









REMEMBER TO MAKE THIS A WEEK OF GIVING THANKS FOR YOUR BLESSINGS!

No comments: